Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Intentions of the Light



--- Palacide ---


-- Another night has passed and gone, another sun has risen and set, and still there is no news from Allendor --


-- No news of war, no news of a new King... No news whatsoever --


-- the general public remains silently unaware that the King of Allendor has passed beyond.. or has he? Even the King's advisors begin to fret. No messenger has returned. What fate have they met upon arrival in Allendor --


-- The staff fret themselves. They fret over Imari, their golden Princess so full of life and boldness. Who never leaves her room and eats enough for two, only taking meals in her room --


-- It is even said that the new Handmaiden was seen sneaking up the stairs and into the Princess' room with a few bottles of wine.... and left empty handed --


-- What horrible fates had met their fair Princess to cause her such private grief --


-- and the little timid slave who had returned to Palicide with Arissa and Imari, refusing to take food or drink, still sits with her knees pulled to her chest on the floor, her head on her knees. The physician shook his head and holds no hope --


-- It is early evening and the moon, while not full, has risen and lights the courtyards and streets of Palicide --


-- To the North, a rider comes. Still too far away to be seen by the Gate Guards. But he will arrive in mere hours. Perhaps he brings news from Allendor --


Arissa: (sitting in front of E'Nasha, raking her fingers through her hair, becoming desperate to get her to eat and drink)


Arissa: (saying softly) E'Nasha...please, I beg of you...


E'Nasha: (will not look at her, or speak, her forehead resting on her arms, on top of her knees)


Arissa: I do not understand, there are so many people that think nothing of hurting ...causing pain. Why, why do you do this?  It is not so bad here, the people can be kind...no one will hurt you here..


E'Nasha: (says nothing, so desperately wanting to leave this world to be with the Master again)


Arissa: (sighs, reaching for one of her treasured books, opening it and starts reading aloud)


Imari: (looking out her window to the streets below)


Xavier: (paces the room)


Imari: (taking a sip of wine) Is it not beautiful here?


Xavier: Hmm.. (murmurs as he paces from one end... fumbles with the material cascading around her bed, then paces to the other end to drum his fingers on the wall)


Imari: (turns, pressing her back to the wall, watching him pace back and forth like a caged animal)


Imari: (her breath quickening at the splendid sight he makes)


Xavier: (pauses pacing, looking at her)


Xavier: (lifts his chin, admiring the sight of her there in the moonlight)


Imari: (tilts her head to the side, smiling) You are restless.. (stating the obvious)


Xavier: I'm not certain how long I can go without the grass beneath my feet and the wind in my hair. As much as I have enjoyed (small smirk) this confinement, I warn you, I am not meant to be closed up so.


Imari: (sucks in her bottom lip, chewing on it thoughtfully) I had thought to hear word by now....


Xavier: (moves over to her, easing down to sit in the large window beside her, the moonlight glistening in his light hair)


Imari: (taking another sip of wine, gazing down at him over the rim of the glass)


Xavier: I could travel to Todora. Catch passage beyond Tangamar...


Imari: (blinks, straightening) But, my father is in Allendore..


Xavier: Your father does mean to return, doesn't he? I can't hide in your room forever. And he's bound to wait my hide.


Imari: Certainly he means to return, but all will be forgiven once you explain everything.. (nods)


Imari: ((and ask for my hand in marriage..))  (impatiently waiting for him to broach the topic)


Xavier: (lifts a brow staring at her then laughs out loud)


Imari: You are amused?  (quirking a brow)


Xavier: What is it you would have me explain, Imari? That I kidnapped you, took your virginity, and then kept you in my chambers in Allendor. Only to kidnap you again out of your father's own dungeon and hold up in your room for days pinning you to the bed?


Imari: (gasps) There is no need to be soo (sputters) crude..  and THAT is not what I would have you explain.  I was thinking more along the lines of your......intentions..


Xavier: (draws back, amused as always by her) My... intentions? (cocks his head)


Imari: (quickly becoming exasperated) Yes...your intentions...you know....(looks at him expectantly) for us...


Xavier: (holds his smirk, gazing at her)


Xavier: I'm not sure your father would appreciate hearing that....


Imari: He will admire that you wish to do the honorable thing.. (looking confused as to why he doesn't get it)


Xavier: (slow blink)


Imari: (smiles, thinking he is beginning to see things her way)


Xavier: OH..... the honorable thing.... cut my head off and save him the trouble? ((By the Goddess, she means me to marry her!!!))


Imari: (taking another sip of her wine, letting it warm her blood, sputters her wine as he speaks) No! Stop making jest, Xavier.  We have to approach this very seriously...


Xavier: (his smile fading smaller)


Xavier: You expect your father to allow you to marry me....


Imari: I will marry no other...


Xavier: Erm....


Xavier: I'm a warrior, Imari. I hadn't exactly planned on ..... marrying anytime soon.


Imari: (stiffens, eyes widening)


Imari: (a few moments of deafening silence)


Xavier: (watching her carefully)


Imari: (lets out a shriek and throws her wine glass at him) WHAT exactly had you INTENDED? 


Xavier: (ducks the glass but catches the wine in his face)


Imari: ((not marrying?? not marrying?  but he....but we...))


Xavier: (rising, taking a step back) Well.. you know, ONE day... If your father would permit it....


Imari: ONE day??  (waving her hands dramatically towards the bed) ONE DAY?? is that what you were thinking the MANY days that were spent...(sputters, too embarrassed to outright say it)


Xavier: I really wasn't worrying too much about it when you were in Allendor. And then we were here and you steal me off to your bedchamber...


Imari: Should I have left you in the dungeons??  NO!  Don't answer that....tis obvious I should of!


Xavier: Shall I leave now? (eying the courtyard below)


Imari: (gasps loudly) You wish to leave?  Leave?? LEAVE??  As if....as if.. nothing has happened...


Xavier: (puts his hands up at her) Shhhhh. Now Calm down, Imari. I don't wish to leave... I was asking you if you wanted me to leave.


Imari: I want you to marry me, is what I want!!


Imari: (her eyes wide, her mind spinning, wondering how she could have been so foolish)


Xavier: (tilting his head back and forth, obviously hedging)


Xavier: That just probably isn't possible... right now


Imari: (lifts her chin, her pride preventing her from bursting into tears) Anything is possible if the desire is strong enough....which obviously it is not..


Xavier: Imari! (throwing his hands up) We have not even proclaimed love for each other, and you are talking about marriage!


Imari: (eyes flashing)  I have risked the wrath of my father, the King by aiding in your escape from his very own dungeon.  I have WILLINGLY given myself to you.....how can you NOT be talking about marriage??


Xavier: (presses a finger over her lips) (calmly) Imari..


Xavier: I'm only thinking of you here.


Imari: (slowly pushes his finger away) You were only thinking of me... when you say you wish to leave...not only Palicide but all of Tangamor.  You wish to leave me.. (her voice vibrating with emotion)


Xavier: If I stay here, I will be hung. And you know it.


Imari: No!  That would not happen, I would make father understand...


Xavier: Alright.... then let me propose this... (takes a deep breath and resumes his pacing)


Xavier: I will go to Todora until you send word to me that your father is welcoming me to Palicide with open arms...


Imari: (sinking onto the window seat)


Xavier: You could always... slip away.. (small smile)


Imari: But, how will we be married without my father's blessing? Where shall we live? What of Staza and Arissa....


Imari: (wondering why she did not think of these questions before, rubbing her temples, everything that seemed so simple suddenly becoming so complicated)


Xavier: I would never ask that of you..... (assuring her, moving to her and taking her arms in his hands, kissing her forehead) I meant slip away for the night.


Imari: (somewhat reassured by the feel of his arms around her, closing her eyes) When will you go?


Xavier: Soon. The longer I delay, the harder it will be. For both of us...


Imari: And you will wait there, for me...


Xavier: I will await your word.


Imari: (gazes up at him) I will convince my father to see reason..


Xavier: Then you will come for me... and I will return. (nods) And then we'll see.


Imari: (missing him already, desperately wanting him to stay but refusing to beg)


Xavier: (pulling her to his chest, holding her)


Imari: (wrapping her arms around him, breathing in his scent)


Xavier: The time will pass quickly. (stroking her hair)


Imari: I hope my father returns shortly..  (nuzzling his neck, blinks at the stickiness then darts her tongue out to lick the wine she threw at him)


Xavier: (aroused by her tongue on his flesh, nuzzles her for a kiss)


Imari: (lifts her lips to his, boldly darting her tongue out to trace his bottom lip)


Xavier: (lets her tongue roam his lips then claims her in a deep kiss, arms tightening around her, finding her pliable)


--- there is a knock upon the door --


Imari: (ignores the knock, running her hands up his back)


Xavier: (tenses at the knock, drawing back)


-- the knock sounds again, quite desperate --


Imari: (pouts as his lips leave hers)


Imari: (glances towards the door)


Imari: (gets up and walks near, calling out) Yes?


Xavier: (backs up toward the small chamber room adjoining hers)


Imari: (opens the door to see who it is)


Imari: (obviously displeased at being interrupted)


Guard: (bows) Pardon my intrusion, Princess.


Imari: (straightens, having expected Katori or Arissa) Is something amiss?


Imari: (giving him a smile, not wanting him to get suspicious)


Guard: A messenger has arrived from your father. The Advisors wish to see you. (pauses to remind her) You are the only one of the royal family here.


Imari: (tries not to appear distressed by the news despite the churning in her stomach) Relay to the advisors that I shall be down momentarily...


Guard: (bows) As you wish, your Highness.


Imari: (slowly closes the door, walking quickly towards the adjoining chamber and whispering) Xavier? Did you hear that..


Imari: What can it mean? (standing before the mirror, straightening her appearance, smoothing back her hair)


Xavier: Perhaps only what it sounds like. A messenger has returned


Imari: Maybe my father is not far behind...  (twirls to look at him) Am I presentable?


Xavier: As always....


Imari: I will return as soon as I am able..  (runs towards him, lifting onto her tiptoes and smooching his lips before swishing away)


Xavier: (lips tingle from the quick kiss as she rushes off. With an exhale, he moves to the window, gazing out and feeling caged again)


Imari: (breezes into the main chamber and smiles brightly at the advisors) There is news?


Harlan: Princess Imari. (motions to a chair) Sit...


Imari: (takes a seat, carefully arranging the skirts of her gown)


Harlan: A messenger has returned from General Capelo.


Imari: (looking at him expectantly)


Harlan: There has been difficulty in Allendor.


Imari: Allendor is a dreadful place, I am not surprised.  Did it mention when my father is expected to return?


Harlan: It may be a lengthy process...


Imari: (blink) How lengthy? (not liking the sound of that)


Harlan: King Allen is indeed dead, but his advisors claim to have formed  a parliament and refuse to relinquish Allendor without a battle. Three of Allendor's Generals are gone, two by the hand of your brother, and he has been arrested by this interim parliament.


Imari: (gasps) Staza has been imprisoned?


Harlan: Indeed. (nods) Allendor is crippled, though. The loss of three Generals has put her soldiers at a loss, there is disorganization, we even suspect that many of the soldiers will refuse to fight for this parliament.


Imari: So that is good news? (becoming confused) Father will free Staza, right?


Harlan: It is, of course, the anticipated outcome.


Imari: (her brow furrowed, digesting all the news)


Harlan: In the meanwhile, your father has assigned you to over see the courts.


Imari: The courts... he wants me to oversee the justice process?


Harlan: You will be expected to sit for Palicide and hear grievances.


Imari: (nods, thinking that cannot be too difficult) And pass judgment?


Harlan: Yes, Princess. You will also be expected to oversee trade talks with Todora and Gaylin. I will, of course, advise you in the trade talks.


Imari: (nods, wishing now more than ever that she had a husband) Of Course..


Harlan: There is also the hanging of the Allendor General in our prison, Princess.


Harlan: The King has him slated to be executed. He was to be seen before the court.


Imari: (thinking she could not have heard him correctly) The General in our prison....


Harlan: Yes.. Xavier the Light.


Imari: And he is here, in our prison? (glancing around at the advisors) ((they do not know he is gone??))


Harlan: We have been concerned of you, Princess.


Imari: (thinking how she can use her new position to advantage) Concerned in what way?


Harlan: You've not left your room in two days. Not even for meals.


Imari: (gives him a look, carefully lifting a delicately arched brow) I had a long and harrowing journey and was in need of my rest. 


Harlan: Of course. (glances at the other advisors)


Imari: (sweeps her gaze across the advisors, pinning each one with a glance)


--- the advisors are old and wise and concerned about such a young inexperienced person in charge of the courts, but dare not question the orders of the king ---


Harlan: Then we will expect you in the court tomorrow morning at the tenth hour.


Imari: (rising, trying her best to mimic her father's most authoritive look) I will see you there.


Harlan: (nods)


Imari: (sweeping across the room and quickly ascending the stairs, anxious to get back to Xavier)


Harlan: (turns to the others)


Harlan: The King's primary focus is to win the city of Allendor right now. Let us hope, my friends, that in his greed, he does not lose the faith of Palicide.


----

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.